Great job with your micro teaching (I watched the video since I was out)! Your example was well presented and you communicated well with the group as they were working. It was obvious that you are very knowledgeable on this subject and you were able to teach a lot of different things within the time that you has with the class. I noticed that there wasn't much time was given to really let the final stage of direct instruction to be conducted. The students did not have enough time to answer the questions by themselves before going over them together. Overall I enjoyed your lesson.
First off, you picked a good, engaging topic for a lesson like this. Your explanation of primary documents and how to analyze them was very good. You pinpointed all the major points the students. Really showing what students would then need to look for.That made the group practice that much easier, as this can be a hard topic, seeing as the materials being presented are older, but it's presented well enough that any student could grasp it! The only critique I really have is that you have slow slowed it down at bit and utilized wait time to your advantage. Incorporating a little more student discussion, especially when dealing with race issues, can be an added value to this lesson.However, I understand that we learned about wait time after Microteaching 1. Overall, good topic that was well presented. With some minor changes, this could be incorporated into the classroom!
Hey Nate! I really liked your lesson, and I think you chose a very appropriate topic for Direct Instruction, and made great use of the documents provided. You're definitely knowledgeable in this area, and it showed! I loved the group work, and how effectively you got across what you were trying to teach about analyzing primary documents. A lot of forethought went into this lesson, and it shows! For a critique, I would just say to calm down and take a deep breath. You were full of this nervous energy and it showed. There's no need to be nervous! Also, speak up a bit more! We need to use those teacher voices of ours!
Nate, my fellow educator! History is one of the most text heavy, yet informative, subjects I can think of. And in light of that, I believe what you did for your Microteaching I lesson helps to discuss what materials students should look for, and how to deconstruct documents and texts into smaller chucks for them to analyze. What I loved the most about your lesson was how you walk the students through the entire network of primary and secondary source documents without just simply throwing all of it on to them and saying "Good luck!" (I've had my fair share of those teachers). You asked meaningful questions to gauge the level of knowledge and interest with the students, which also helped you expand their knowledge by differentiating between useful information and "more useful" information. My only critique is for you to take a deep breath, shake up those hands and feet, and do it! Your lesson was awesome but I think you were stage struck when in the moment of performing. Just remember that you have a great array of knowledge and that you are the teacher. You know what you're talking about, so don't worry and just speak!
Great job with your micro teaching (I watched the video since I was out)! Your example was well presented and you communicated well with the group as they were working. It was obvious that you are very knowledgeable on this subject and you were able to teach a lot of different things within the time that you has with the class.
ReplyDeleteI noticed that there wasn't much time was given to really let the final stage of direct instruction to be conducted. The students did not have enough time to answer the questions by themselves before going over them together. Overall I enjoyed your lesson.
First off, you picked a good, engaging topic for a lesson like this. Your explanation of primary documents and how to analyze them was very good. You pinpointed all the major points the students. Really showing what students would then need to look for.That made the group practice that much easier, as this can be a hard topic, seeing as the materials being presented are older, but it's presented well enough that any student could grasp it!
ReplyDeleteThe only critique I really have is that you have slow slowed it down at bit and utilized wait time to your advantage. Incorporating a little more student discussion, especially when dealing with race issues, can be an added value to this lesson.However, I understand that we learned about wait time after Microteaching 1. Overall, good topic that was well presented. With some minor changes, this could be incorporated into the classroom!
Hey Nate! I really liked your lesson, and I think you chose a very appropriate topic for Direct Instruction, and made great use of the documents provided. You're definitely knowledgeable in this area, and it showed! I loved the group work, and how effectively you got across what you were trying to teach about analyzing primary documents. A lot of forethought went into this lesson, and it shows!
ReplyDeleteFor a critique, I would just say to calm down and take a deep breath. You were full of this nervous energy and it showed. There's no need to be nervous! Also, speak up a bit more! We need to use those teacher voices of ours!
Nate, my fellow educator! History is one of the most text heavy, yet informative, subjects I can think of. And in light of that, I believe what you did for your Microteaching I lesson helps to discuss what materials students should look for, and how to deconstruct documents and texts into smaller chucks for them to analyze. What I loved the most about your lesson was how you walk the students through the entire network of primary and secondary source documents without just simply throwing all of it on to them and saying "Good luck!" (I've had my fair share of those teachers). You asked meaningful questions to gauge the level of knowledge and interest with the students, which also helped you expand their knowledge by differentiating between useful information and "more useful" information.
ReplyDeleteMy only critique is for you to take a deep breath, shake up those hands and feet, and do it! Your lesson was awesome but I think you were stage struck when in the moment of performing. Just remember that you have a great array of knowledge and that you are the teacher. You know what you're talking about, so don't worry and just speak!