The chapters from the Wilhelm reading brought to mind
several concepts I want to strive to include in my own teaching practices. The
idea of giving class content a real world application was something introduced
in SED 406 and something I think has immense value. As I prepared for Microteaching
II last semester, I realized that the unit I had sketched out for the 1960’s
Civil Rights movement lent itself to a project which would involve students taking
action to change something about their school. The project would probably
ruffle some feathers if the students took it past the planning stage, but I
like the prospect of using ideas from the content and having students apply
them in the real world. Finding real world applications for every unit in a history/social
studies class might be difficult, but, much like the Wilhelm reading suggests,
they would likely be of more value and promote further learning than the often
forgotten names, dates, and historical facts.
The
chapter on teaching reading was interesting and a little concerning, but it was
something I had already put some thought into. The topic of my Microteaching I lesson
(if we can put aside how well I taught it), was about how to read a primary
document. When I set out planning the unit the lesson came from, it was
immediately apparent to me that high school students would not be prepared to
analyze the primary documents at the core of the unit and lessons to prepare
them were absolutely necessary. These kinds of reading strategies I would be
comfortable with teaching, but what concerns me would be students who struggle
with basic reading. I do not know how likely it is to run into a high school
student that far behind, but it is within the realm of possibility and I am not
sure how to handle it. A good example of this took place during service
learning when I was helping a 5th grade student read and take notes.
While he could get through the sentences, he was struggling with comprehension.
I could help him with how to structure his notes and approve of information he
thought was important, but often he would invert or distort a paragraph he had
just read when he wanted to transfer it into his notebook. All I could do was ask
if he was sure or say I did not think that was what he wanted and try to direct
him to where he made his error. I wanted to help him improve his reading
skills, but I was not (and am still not) sure if I was helping in this
instance.
Nathan,
ReplyDeleteI like how you made a few different connections to the Wilhelm reading. I agree with the fact that History classes in particular would be of more value if it weren't all about memorizing name, dates (etc). Unfortunately, I feel like a lot of English and History require reading. So, it is important that you implement the strategies spoken about in the Wilhelm chapter to ensure students are picking out important information while reading. Again, this is most likely going to have to be taught, which is probably where the 5th grade student's teacher went wrong. He should have taught the class how to take notes. To do this, he could have given the class a paragraph to read and pick out important information as a class. Or, come up with a type of activity where they have to look for certain things/ information.
I think you made the right decision by trying to direct him. I'm sure it did more good than harm. At least then he could take a hint and change his way of thinking.
I also like what you said about making sure that the students are able to find the real world connections. Since the seventh grade I felt that this should be the way that history classes are conducted. The history teacher that I had at the time taught the subject like you described and I feel that it was the best way. Sure we should all know who George Washington is, but when we get lost in all the dates and tiny details of the event, the students can't figure out why they are learning history. When the real world connections are emphasized, the reason for the lesson is clear. I'm glad you are considering this way to teaching.
ReplyDeleteI also like what you said about making sure that the students are able to find the real world connections. Since the seventh grade I felt that this should be the way that history classes are conducted. The history teacher that I had at the time taught the subject like you described and I feel that it was the best way. Sure we should all know who George Washington is, but when we get lost in all the dates and tiny details of the event, the students can't figure out why they are learning history. When the real world connections are emphasized, the reason for the lesson is clear. I'm glad you are considering this way to teaching.
ReplyDelete