Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Reading #7 - Reading Workshops and Pre/During/Post Reading activities



In reading chapter 8 from Daniels and Zemelman, I thought a lot about nice it would be for my students to enjoy reading. When I was in high school, I did not enjoy many assigned readings. There were never any options in the English classes, just what was assigned. Some of the ELA people might hate me, but the one that stuck out as unreadable was The Great Gatsby. I remember thinking the story was like a soap opera. It might be worthy of another try, my opinion might have changed over the years.

Reading workshops seem like a huge time sink, but one class period every other week seems reasonable. If kids end up liking reading because they get to read some things they find interesting in class, it is completely justified. The trick will be assembling a large classroom library with plenty of options. I like the idea of having one on one conferences with students to see what they are thinking about what they are reading. I think the conferences could be a good relationship builder with students if done properly. The whole idea of classroom reading brings to mind a little anecdote. Most of my 12th grade English class was a terrible joke. The original teacher left early on and an unprepared substitute replaced her for the remainder of the year. Rather than sit through the awfulness, I went through the small collection of books in the room, found The Autobiography of Malcolm X, and read that instead of paying attention to whatever went on in the class. One day I came into class and the book had disappeared from the shelf, annoying me a great deal. I suppose I did want reading workshops, even though I did not know what they were at the time. Because of the book’s disappearance, I started playing Game Boy Advance in the class instead of reading.

Chapter 5 contained many strategies for reading. The chapter was not the best read, as it is clearly meant to be used as reference material (hence the gray page edges). Some seemed easy to use with clear benefits, like frontloading with images, RAFT, and turn and talk, but some of the others I would need try with students. I am not someone who takes notes, highlights, or marks up pages in books I read so things like the post-it response notes seem bothersome to me. Others might find it beneficial so it is worth trying.

1 comment:

  1. The Great Gatsby was one of the better books I read in high school. The soapyness made it more interesting than many of the other books. Murder, sex, betrayal; what more do you want? Down to business, I agree with your thoughts about having options to read being the most beneficial thing when it comes to having students read, but with the rest I think you're missing out on how useful these reading groups can be. Much like your reading of the Malcolm X book, many kids would much rather pick up a book than listen to a teacher talking. Instead of them reading something completely off topic or playing Game Boy Advance (old man) they could read something related to what you're teaching and hopefully this will get them more engaged in what's happening in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete